Thursday, July 8, 2010

Ich liebe Philosophie!

I have been in Vienna now for about 6 days, I've been so crazy busy I haven't been able to update this thing! Being busy is a good thing though. From making new friends, to academics, I've been filling almost every moment of my day to the point of exhaustion! But its pretty rad, I love this place, I love the people, I love my studies in Philosophy.

In case ya'll didn't know, I am in Vienna studying at Universistät Wien (Vienna University :P ) at a 2 week summer session entitled "Scientific World Conceptions". Specifically, I am studying the Science of the Conscience Mind with a philosophical focus. I feel truly blessed to be given this opportunity, and I really feel like being here helped me confirm my decision to pursue philosophy as life long career. There are only 25 participants in the program and I get to work (m-f from 9-5) with renown philosophers as well scholars from around the world on the topic of consciousness, oh this really is my dream come true!

Ya wanna know the sweetest part? I have a sick dorm/apartment in a building thats really central to lots of cool stuff. I have my own room, kitchenette, bathroom, and its super spacious! Wish I could keep the apartment :P

I've met a lot of students from Duke here, as well as Owen Flanagan (a Professor at Duke) and they have all encouraged me to apply there for my Phd. I guess we'll see about next year :D

Aside from academics, I've been spending time with my fellow participants and exploring the city with tours set up for our program. We had a philosophical tour of Vienna on wednesday, some of the destinations included: Wittgenstein's house, Freud's apartment, and the location of the Original Vienna Circle (the original philosophers of the University of Vienna).

Ah a philosopher's dream come true! I'm in heaven.














No comments:

Post a Comment