Thursday, July 9, 2009

My first international flight EVER!

Ah! my first squat toilet!
=)
This is actually a traditional Korean outfit equivalent to the Japanese kimono, it is called a "hanbok".
Tastey beer in Korea, hehehehe. So cheap too! BEST PART: THEY DON'T CARD!
My Australian friend for the night.
Authentic Korean BBQ


A really cool store whose wall displayed an ocean with little fish swimming across it.
Our Sweet Hotel.
My sweet hotel room complete with an amazing view of Seoul
The awesometastic meal they served on the airplane.

July 7th.

I woke up a little later than I wanted to, but I was still able to get to my plane on time. I had a very hear-felt goodbye with Sean & wondered when I'd see him again (probably Christmas). After going to the wrong subway (whoops) I was finally able to navigate my way to the JFK airport. To my surprise I was flying Korean Air (via Delta), I thought I was gonna be stuck on a crappy American plane the whole ride there.

Not including Canada, THIS WAS MY FIRST INTERNATIONAL PLANE RIDE! I can't believe how amazing everything is! The plan has two stories, its incredibly comfortable, my seat reclines more than 2 inches! (fuck you Delta for having the most uncomfortable seats in THE FUCKING WORLD), I got a bunch of freebies!, the guy sitting next to me is awesome, free movies galore!, our flight attendants are really sheik/fashionable/and attractive (their outfits are ridiculously cute! I would totally wear that!), we get two legit meals (I had korean style mixed rice, pepper sauce, sesame oil, melon cubes, pickles, Genmaicha (roasted brown-rice green tea), and to top it off there was unlimited free wine! (I love not getting carded).

I found out I will have plenty of time to explore Seoul, I was unsure at first, but the gate attendant informed me there is much to do in the time that I have. I'm so excited, I know nothing about Korea! this should be interesting...








July 8th

OKAY, SO IT WAS INTERESTING.

I didn't have a game plan in mind, so holding my breath, I took the leap and jumped head first into Seoul. When I was going through customs, I found someone who looked like he spoke english, so I asked him if he did, and sure enough he did! Tim was Australian, and to my luck, he was also going into Seoul, so I asked him if I could share a taxi with him.

I had no where to go and nothing to do, so he offered to be my partner in crime for the night. He had the taxi go to the Grand Hyatt on top of a hill that overlooked all of Seoul, IT WAS HELLA FANCY [And I mean fancy as in expensive]. I couldn't believe it! (He even payed for the taxi!) what a sweet guy!... Actually he paid for everything, damn I have good luck.

So after we put our stuff in the hotel room, we caught another taxi and decided to go bar/club hopping in the Rodeo District. GODDAMN, I have to say Korea is awesome. Although it was a wednesday night, and not many people were out partying, the bars were amazing! And none of them card! (even though I think I'm the legal drinking age here). Ironically I walked into a bar and they started playing Pokerface, oh Lady Gaga how I love thee. I got COMPLETELY SMASHED by the end of the night (hahah this so far has been the trend in my travels), it was amazing. I really hope I can come back to Korea someday, I only got a tiny taste of it, but I want so much more! I didn't get to shop :( booooo.

It is currently 8am as I write this, and I am sipping on a Hite Beer with only 3 hours of sleep under my belt in the Incheon Airport. My plane for Tokyo will leave at 9:35, Ahhhhh I'm so excited for more adventures! Well I'm off to conquer the world, I'll call you when I'm done.

Do I look hung-over? Cause I am, & we all know the only cure to too much alcohol, is to have more alcohol, hahaha. BEER FOR BREAKFAST YUMMMMM.


Be true be you,

Kat-drew.

July 9th,

Arriving in Tokyo was amazing! As our plane landed my eyes started to water, I've dreamt of going to Japan since I was 7 years old. I couldn't believe it was actually happening. All by myself (一人で)I had to navigate myself from Narita Airport to Tokyo, and finally to Aya's house in Kawasaki. It was fun because nobody spoke English and I had the opportunity to utilize my Japanese skills. Additionally, because I didn't know what the hell I was doing, it ended up taking me 4 hours to get to Aya's house when it should have been a little under 2 hours, but thats okay, they sold alcohol everywhere, so I got pretty drunk (I know what you're thinking, "AGAIN"?) on the train and listened to Lady Gaga on my ipod as the beautiful scenery whirred by my tourist eyes. PS- They sell alcohol literally everywhere. But only silly American's like me obsess about buying it.

Aya's city is totally awesome, I went to my first Japanese market called a "super" (スーパー)and I was blown away by the crazy selection of food! They were sampling whale, YES WHALE, when I was in the market, so I tried some, and to my surprise it tasted like fish. Poor lil whale :(

When we got to Aya's house we had a traditional dinner of fish rice, bean curd, squash, and seaweed. It was so tastey! おいしいですね~ ohhhh I'm so excited to finally get to use my japanese!

No comments:

Post a Comment